4 Challenges of Cloud Migration for Healthcare Organizations
Trend Micro survey finds rapid migration could negatively impact security
Trend Micro, the global leader in cloud security, found that global healthcare organizations (HCOs) have accelerated their spending on cloud migration, but many may be over-estimating their ability to protect these environments.
Trend Micro commissioned Sapio Research to survey more than 2,500 IT decision makers in 28 countries across several industry sectors, including healthcare. The results show that 88% of HCOs have accelerated their cloud adoption because of the pandemic. Remote working, cost savings and improved IT agility were three main reasons for the switch to cloud-based infrastructure.
Recommended AI News: Acquia Named a Leader in the Gartner 2021 Magic Quadrant for DXP
Rapid shifts to the cloud may leave organizations at higher risk of cyber threats. Here are four challenges HCOs reportedly faced when moving to cloud-based environments:
- Skills shortages: 43% revealed that skills gaps are a persistent barrier to migrating to cloud security solutions.
- Day-to-day operations: Setting and maintaining policies (34%), patching and vulnerability management (32%), and misconfigurations (32%) were challenges of protecting cloud workloads.
- Increased costs: 43% have spent more on capital expenses and paying for contracted out services, while 39% have spent more on operational and training costs since migrating.
- Security responsibility: Just 40% are confident they secure their part of the Shared Responsibility Model.
- While cloud migration isn’t simple, it can be enabled and improved using the right security tools.
“Security is another aspect of building well, not a separate function. And security controls help teams build better in the cloud,” said Mark Nunnikhoven, vice president of cloud research for Trend Micro. “Security can be an accelerator for building in the cloud. Using the right tools and understanding the platforms you’re using is key to making that happen.”
Recommended AI News: CI Security Launches Multi-Tiered Solution to Reduce the Risk of Ransomware Attacks
The healthcare sector has been on the frontline in the struggle against COVID-19, and digital transformation can make a positive impact on productivity and patient care during this time of critical need. However, it is essential that the broader attack surface of an expanded digital infrastructure is given due consideration.
With the right cloud-ready solutions in place, HCOs can maximize cloud benefits without putting mission-critical systems or patient data at risk. Such tools can also minimize skills challenges by spotting misconfigurations, automating patching and policy management, and integrating security into DevOps, across both cloud and on-premise environments.