TCS Survey:70% of Global CXOs Find Mainframe and Legacy Modernization as Top Priorities
A Survey Was Commisioned for Global CXOs of Companies That Currently Have Legacy or Mainframe Applications, by Tata Consultancy Services and AWS
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, recently conducted a study in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS). The study revealed challenges posed by legacy systems, perceived benefits of modernization and cloud migration, and the preferred approaches by 211 CXOs and senior decision makers. Out of the participants, 70% think of Mainframe or Legacy Modernization as a strategic business priority for the next three years.
Mainframe Modernization is replacing the legacy solutions used by a company with new, modern ones. It reduces the cost to company and brings better flexibility, and compatibility in the operations within the company. The process of legacy modernization requires a lot of efforts and dedication from all the employees of the company. But in the end, it brings better returns and agility in work.
Recommended AI News: YouTube’s Top Earner Only 9 Years Old – Almost $30 Million in 2020
Chief Experience Officers of big companies find it important to adapt to newer technologies, and suggest numerous methods to go by the digital transformation.
Key findings from the report by TCS and AWS include:
- Over two-third of the respondents are using mainframe or legacy applications for core business operations and over 60% for customer-facing functions.
- Top three challenges with legacy systems were integration with new applications (61%), lack of business agility (57%), and security exposure (55%).
- The main barriers to migrating legacy systems to the cloud were concerns around security (44%), disruption to operations (37%), and reliability (33%).
- Greater agility to respond to market needs (45%) is a key business objective in driving legacy modernization, followed by improving application performance / responsiveness (41%), and improving availability / disaster recovery and improving compliance / security (38% each).
- Re-engineering / redevelopment (33%) is the most preferred approach for legacy modernization, followed by lift and shift (20%), retain and optimize (19%) and refactor (9%).
- Most of the companies that participated in the survey are currently (64%) or planning to (22%) use tools to partially or fully automate modernization.
Recommended AI News: Artificial Solutions Launches Luis Teneo, a Conversational Bot Runtime & Development Environment for Microsoft Azure Customers
“The survey reinforces our own experiences with customers across industries and markets. They are giving the highest priority to legacy and mainframe modernization in their digital transformation programs, especially during the pandemic. Enterprises are looking for partners who can help mitigate the risks of disruption and deliver high quality outcomes with speed to market. TCS’ deep contextual knowledge, strategic focus on cloud, end-to-end modernization services powered by intelligent automation products like TCS MasterCraft™ TransformPlus, organization design and key partnerships with hyperscalers have made us the preferred partner in their cloud migration journeys,” said Vijayalakshmi Gopal, Business Head, TCS MasterCraft.
The survey conducted by IDG Research, polled respondents with a title of Director or above, from companies across industries, ranging from mid-sized (1,000+ employees) to large (10,000+ employees).