Wisekey IoT Early Warning System Is Now Allowing National COVID-19 App Development Teams
WISeKey International Holding Ltd., a leading global cybersecurity and IoT company, announced that it has finalized the integration of an IoT Early Warning System (EWS) designed with the objective of saving lives through early detection and help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The Foresight Platform is fully compatible with the PEPP-PT Pan-European Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing, conceived as the backbone for national apps that would comply with Europe’s strict privacy rules and be able to “talk” to each other across borders.
The Foresight Early Warning System is the core component of the Digital Transformation Plan announced by WISeKey which is expected to last 3 years and is already the main priority of WISeKey by developing and acquiring disruptive technologies and harness their power to overcome key challenges of a complex world and unlock new growth opportunities. We broadened our offerings to reach new audiences, such as bringing WISeID technology to the fight against COVID-19 with the development of spacelab editions such as WIShelter and WISeTravel.
The scale of the impact of disruptive technology adoption on businesses has never been more apparent than now as the technology is required to contain the spread of COVID-19. All WISeKey technologies starting from Digital Identities, AI, Blockchain, IoT Semiconductors to cloud-based services and cybersecurity solutions have become the lifeline of businesses irrespective of their size or industry.
WISeKey currently provides cybersecurity and IoT solutions to several of the world’s most successful businesses and consumer brands. Every day customers use 1.5 billion WISeKey-based chips in products that connect people, secure objects and enhance the interactions of machines with humans.
The Foresight platform now includes all of WISeKey’s IoT network of interconnected systems and advances in digital certification, data analytics, artificial intelligence (AI) and ubiquitous connectivity which are the pillars of the Digital Transformation process the company started this year with the objective of diversifying its revenue sources by leveraging its business process, business model, domain, and cultural/organizational.
Leveraging its IoT-sensors equipped with WIShelter app capable of measuring temperature and providing geolocation of targeted quarantines, WISeKey’s technology can help mitigate the spread the coronavirus. IoT, a network of interconnected systems and advances in digital certification, data analytics, AI and ubiquitous connectivity, can help by providing an early warning system to curb the spread of infectious diseases.
WISeKey uses its network of Blockchain Centers of Excellence in cooperation with enterprises, cities, and national governments to collectively create a massive global network of IoT sensors interconnected to the Foresight Early Warning System. Using the network of billions of interconnected smarts IoT sensors we can detect the spread of viruses by combining the anonymized digital identity with the behavior of a person. However, this would require standardization, planning and implementation on a global scale and, a special focus on privacy, to develop the Early Warning System. Lack of security increases the risk of users’ personal information being hacked while the data is collected and transmitted to the IoT device. IoT devices are connected with a consumer network, and sometimes unauthorized users might exploit existing security vulnerabilities, if the infrastructure is not properly secured.
The first phase of the ultra-low-power Bluetooth 5 secure beacon implementation was developed using WISeKey’s VaultIC407, the RSL10 and N34TS108 temperature sensor from ON Semiconductor, as well as Tatwah’s BLE IT-005 IP68 class Beacon. The device has an outstanding battery life, with no compromise to security. The secure implementation allows replay attack protection, device clone protection, VaultIC absence detection, revocation capability, measurement validity check, and true temperature display.
WISeKey has combined a complete set of technologies to guarantee health data integrity and confidentiality:
- A secure element is added to the RPM device to protect the data at source and encrypt & digitally sign them over a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connection to a local communication gateway. This secure element is either a certified WISeKey’s VaultIC407 added to the device microprocessor, or
a secure enclave of this microprocessor based on WISeKey’s proven security Intellectual Properties (IPs).
- Patients’ drugs containers and other sensitive consumables are equipped with NanoSealRT, the WISeKey’s NFC solution to provide any object with a communication channel for authentication, tracking or interactivity purpose.
- A local gateway connects all medical devices at home to the HDO server through a 5G network. Similarly, to connected devices, the gateway contains a VaultIC407 or WISeKey’s security IPs to protect the local BLE network of medical devices and guarantee the health data integrity and confidentiality until the HDO server.
- WISeKey’s VaultiTrust service for secure data generation and injection into secure elements is at the heart of this infrastructure. It provides any object with a strong digital identity.
- On the HDO server, patient’s medical data are still managed under a consistent security scheme with WISeKey’s Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) based on the OISTE Foundation Root-Of-Trust. WISeKey’s blockchain technology is used whenever a secured distributed ledger must assure the ubiquitous availability of the data.