Equinix Extends Digital Edge with New Data Center in Sydney
Largest Equinix IBX in Australia Supports the Country’s Digital Economy
Equinix, Inc. , the global interconnection and data center company, announced it is extending the digital edge with a new International Business Exchange (IBX) data center in Sydney, to be named SY5. The $160 million first phase of the South Sydneyfacility, which is targeted to open in Q3 2019 and will offer an initial capacity of 1,825 cabinets, further solidifies Equinix’s market leadership in Australia. The new IBX will be the largest to date for Equinix in Australia with 9,225 cabinets when fully built.
The density of carriers, cloud service providers (CSP) and subsea cables in South Sydney make it an important location for Equinix. A recent study by Frost & Sullivan also revealed that enterprises in Australia have high awareness of edge computing architecture. As the Australian market continues to advance year-on-year with growth in cloud computing, big data, IoT applications and analytics software, and with 5G going live this year, Equinix continues to expand its presence in Australia by bringing local and global businesses closer to the digital edge to support their digital transformation journeys.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The SY5 IBX will be located in Alexandria, about 2.5 miles from Sydney’s central business district, and will host a total colocation space of more than 260,000 square feet (approximately 25,000 square meters) when fully built. When the facility opens, Equinix will have a national footprint of 16 IBX data centers across Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane, with eight in Sydney.
- Equinix Sydney facilities enable companies to set up direct links to the continent’s two largest peering points along with direct access to: the trans-Pacific telecommunications cables network Southern Cross Cable Head; the PIPE Pacific Cable network that runs from Australia to Guam; the new submarine cable system Hawaiki that connects Australia with New Zealand, other Pacific Islands and the continental US; as well as the Australia Singapore Cable (ASC) between Australia and Singapore.
- The SY5 IBX will benefit from direct fiber cross connect capability between the SY1, SY2, SY3 and SY4 IBX data centers with the richest ecosystem of customers in Australia, including over 155 network service providers (NSP), 265 cloud and IT service providers, more than 75 financial services companies and over 55 content and digital media organizations. SY5 will be located adjacent to SY4 with direct physical access between the buildings via a secure link bridge, creating a physical campus extension between the sites.
- The SY5 IBX will also benefit from Equinix Metro Connect connectivity to the SY6 IBX in Silverwater, providing customers with the ability to support geographical diversity and redundancy as needed to support full business continuity within the Sydney basin.
- As part of Platform Equinix®, SY5 will offer a wide range of connectivity options, including Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™), which allows businesses to set up on-demand and secure connections to over 130 service providers and more than 1,400 participants across all regions around the world. ECX Fabric provides the largest cloud on-ramp to more than 265 CSPs in Australia, including Alibaba, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, SAP Cloud, Oracle, SoftLayer and other local providers.
- Equinix has been named Frost & Sullivan’s 2018 Australia Data Center Services Provider of the Year for its unmatched national footprint and robust interconnection services, creating tremendous values for its customers.
- Over the past three years, Equinix has invested more than $800 million to organically build and expand its presence in the Asia-Pacific region. Equinix currently has 40 IBX data centers across 12 markets in Asia-Pacific. This January, the company announced it is building its fourth IBX data center in Singapore and entering a new market in Seoul, South Korea.
- Globally, IBX facilities are built on Platform Equinix, which is comprised of 200 IBX data centers across 52 markets and 24 countries, providing data center and interconnection services for more than 9,800 of the world’s leading businesses.