HTC Vive Lifts the 6DoF Spatial VR Experience to a New Level at World Conference on VR Industry
6DOF Developer Kit Launches to Accelerate the Expansion of the Vive Wave Ecosystem While World’s First Htc Vive Flagship Store Opens in Shenzhen
HTC Corporation (“HTC”), a pioneer in innovative, smart mobile and virtual/augmented reality (VR/AR) technologies, held the HTC Vive Ecosystem Forum at the World Conference on VR Industry (WCVRI) in Nanchang, Jiangxi Province. During the event, HTC Vive announced immediate availability of its Vive 6DoF (6 degrees of freedom) Developer Kit for the Vive Wave Ecosystem and showcased several groundbreaking 6DoF interactive pieces of VR content and technology.
“We are excited to collaborate with the IVRA (Industry of VR Alliance), Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of China and Jiangxi provincial government to host the first ‘World Conference of the VR Industry’. It’s been amazing to see the rapid pace of advancement in the VR/AR space and the broad-based support of industry, academic and government leaders gathered here at the event,” said Alvin Wang Graylin, China President, HTC. “Today, we are taking the spatial computing industry to yet another level as we announce the availability of the full 6DoF developer kit for the Vive Wave open ecosystem, and a host of new 6DoF content and technologies to more easily bring users into fully immersive virtual worlds.”
New Developer Kits for 6DOF Standalones via Vive Wave
At the conference, HTC Vive introduced the 6DoF Developer Kit that opens a path for developers of the Vive Wave VR platform to develop or port their VR experiences to two handed full-6DoF standalone VR controls. The Developer Kit includes two 6DoF controllers and a tracking attachment that works with any existing Vive Focus devices and a suite of related software tools. Interested developers can apply for the kits today a, Vive Wave already powers devices globally from six different vendors, allowing developers to publish content to one shared marketplace that can hit any number of stand-alone VR HMDs powered by Vive Wave.
HTC Vive also demonstrated 6DoF hand and finger tracking technology that works natively on the Vive Pro. Through the front-camera and its proprietary AI computer vision technology, Vive Pro users can soon interact in VR environments directly with their hands without the need for any special specialized tracking hardware. This innovation will soon enable much more natural and immersive controls to be default part of future VR experiences. Developer tools will be made available to registered Viveport developers in the near future.
Groundbreaking Immersive Experiences Debut on Vive
- The Vive Studios’ film, 7 Miracles, which just won the Spirit of Raindance: VR Film of the Festival Award, is the Studios’ first feature-length cinematic VR experience. The film recreates the seven miracles performed by Jesus Christ in virtual reality with unique 6DoF scenes of where the audience can walk into the movie scene with the actors.
- The Apple, created by two Vive X invested companies, Yuecheng Technologies and ConfigReality, is a large area multi-user experience that pushes the boundaries of immersive storytelling by enabling the audience to freely and physically roam large virtual spaces together with friends. With space compression technology, it established the concept of the Sandbox Movie Narrative, earning it the Best Multi-Person Experience Award at Raindance Film Festival last week.
- The spatial VR experience of the historic Chinese painting Along the River During the Qingming Festival was showcased as part of the Vive Arts program. This experience turns this famous 2D flat scroll painting into a fully interactive city environment where users can truly appreciate what it’s like to live hundreds of years ago.
- HTC Vive partnered with China National Geography to create an interactive VR scenery application for the Vive Focus, showcasing numerous China’s stunning natural sites and landscapes in 8K solution in VR. To find the best solutions for 8K video display on VR standalones, HTC Vive facilitates the 8K display on VR standalones with the most advanced Visbit 8K VR player and demonstrates the possibilities of the global VR film industry.
More Innovative Ecosystem Achievements and Partnerships
In addition to content, Vive debuted new partner technology innovations by Vive X teams, including:
- SuperNode 3D is on-track to transform all 2D video content, especially sports events, into 6DoF VR content, which will allow users to watch games or movies right next to their favorite stars and enjoy the excitement “on-site”.
- The Augmented Digital Design Solution from YCVR innovates a new way of home design, furniture retail and marketing. Consumers can choose their furniture and design their homes using simple, intuitive software, and then preview the results in AR by placing the AR image of the furniture in the real environment before placing an order for purchase.
- XCOL from VRWaibo is a 3D online meeting solution designed for holding meetings and other activities involving group of people who need to interact in the same place, allowing participants access from anywhere at any time and replicate the same behaviors in VR as in the real life.
- With a selfie and a short voice recording, ObEN could create a 3D personal intelligent avatar that looks, talks and behaves like you, and bring it to VR and AR world.
Finally, HTC Vive announces the soft opening of the world’s first HTC Vive Flagship Store, which is located at the Consumer Electronics Exchange/Exhibition Center (CEEC) in Shenzhen. The HTC Vive Flagship Store is intended to deliver a unique VR arcade experience together with a premium offline retail and service center, where consumers will enjoy coming with their whole family and return regularly.