Docker Enables the Next Generation Desktop as a Service Offering with Kasm Workspaces
Kasm Technologies, in partnership with Docker, has developed Kasm Workspaces as a Containerized Desktop Infrastructure platform for streaming remote workspaces directly to your web browser. The technical collaboration between Kasm Technologies and Docker includes research and development on Docker orchestration open-source technology used for streaming desktops, browsers and applications to the browser.
“Docker’s ecosystem is now the foundation for a powerful new type of Desktop as a Service (DaaS),” said Ajeet Singh Raina, Docker Captain, Docker Inc. “Docker Hub, Docker Desktop, and supporting tools help teams build safely, collaborate seamlessly, and rapidly deploy critical applications. Kasm Technologies, a Docker Verified Publisher, provides the Workspaces Container Streaming platform that delivers Docker-powered Linux desktops directly to any web browser.”
Recommended AI News: CyCognito Unveils ‘Exploit Intelligence’ to Accelerate Risk Remediation
Kasm Workspaces replaces legacy Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) offerings like Citrix Workspaces and VMWare Horizons by leveraging Docker containers rather than full-stack operating systems. The Docker ecosystem provides the Workspaces Container Streaming solutions — each with some noteworthy advantages over traditional platforms:
- Desktops Boot in Seconds – Containers run on a shared kernel — Workspaces images boot in under two seconds.
- Reduced System Resources – Containers share system resources and load only minimal essential services, thus consuming less compute, memory, and disk space.
- DevOps Pipelines for Patching and Build Automation – The Dockerfile build process automates the system compilation for release-pipeline automation, intervention-free system updates, and guaranteed uptime. Passive processes also bolster security patching, software functionality, and performance.
- Orchestration for Scalability – Docker orchestration automates the process of establishing additional images and controlling resource allocation.
- Portable/Sharable for Reuse – Containers work cross-platform without dependencies so they can be shared within Docker Hub.
- Platform Agnostic for Compatibility – Workspaces can orchestrate any system with Docker — allowing it to run in the cloud, on-premises, or in a hybrid configuration.
- Web-Native for Usability – Open-Source KasmVNC rendering technology streams the desktop UI to the user’s browser, using web-native technology that doesn’t require an agent or plugin.
“The partnership between Docker and Kasm Technologies presents the next generation of Desktop as a Service solutions through Docker Container Streaming technology,” said Matt McClaskey, Kasm Technologies CTO, “The Workspaces solution is revolutionizing the delivery of remote workspaces through our cloud-centric, devops-enabled and web-native approach.”
Recommended AI News: Mavenir Announces Business Communications Portfolio
[To share your insights with us, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org]